KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau

  • Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site

History

In 1949 a committee was formed, within the Comitéinternational de Dachau - CID, through which the aim to create a memorial at the site of Dachau was established. In 1962 the Bavarian government and CID agreed to create the memorial, and restoration work began.Between 2002 and 2003 a new permanent exhibition opened. 2005; the 60th anniversary of the liberation; the memorial reopened the original entrance to the prisoner camp.In 2009 the visitor's center was opened.

Archival and Other Holdings

An archive and library are also part of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site. Materials of the archive include numerous records of the history of the Concentration Camp, such as written documents, photos, maps, original objects, films and sound recordings. The library contains around 14000 volumes relating to the Holocaust, with of course a particular focus on Dachau Concentration Camp.

Finding Aids, Guides, and Publication

A computerized prisoner registry holds data on over ninety percent of the more than 200,000 prisoners of the Dachau Concentration Camp.

Conditions of Access

The archive and library are available for public use, only by appointment. Appointment requests can be sent to archiv@kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de.

Sources